Friday, April 3, 2009

Jayaprada speaks to DC: ‘I might join PR in future’


Image: Kim Kardashian

Jayaprada speaks to DC: ‘I might join PR in future’
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/neutral/jayaprada-speaks-dc%3A-%E2%80%98i-might-join-pr-future%E2%80%99-999
The Samajwadi Party MP and actor, Jayaprada, feels that fellow actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi might become the Chief Minister of the state. She is also toying with the idea of joining the Praja Rajyam in the future.

She revealed this while speaking to this newspaper on Friday after celebrating her birthday at Tirumala along with her husband, mother and other family members. Excerpts from the interview:

How special is the Samajwadi Party to you? Why did you leave the TD?
I find many similarities between the Samajwadi Party and the Telugu Desam. Mr Mulayam Singh is like N.T. Rama Rao. His vision is similar to that of NTR, be it welfare schemes or the longing for people’s good. Both parties even have cycle as the election symbol.

How many seats is the SP expecting in the elections?
Not less than 40 out of 80. I am confident that the SP would play a crucial role in national politics. I am also confident that Mr Mulayam Singh will be the Prime Minister one day. At present, tentative talks are on with Mr Paswan and Mr Lalu. There is no chance of Mayawati becoming the Prime Minister.

Tell us about the winning chances of your fellow actor Chiranjeevi in AP?
In 1983, when NTR walked the streets, people saw God coming to them. But the situation is different now. However, Chiranjeevi is a fine human being. People have seen the Congress and the Telugu Desam and are clearly hoping for a change. The chances of Chiranjeevi becoming the Chief Minister seem certain.

Do you have any plans of joining the Praja Rajyam?
Of course, it might happen in future.

Why didn’t you contest from AP?
Ok. I will contest from AP after five years. Wherever I may be, my heart always beats for my Telugu people.

What prompted you to turn from films to politics?
When I was at school in Rajahmundry, I was a die-hard fan of NTR. I never expected that I would act with him (in the Telugu movie Adavi Ramudu). Similarly, I never expected that my hero would be my leader one day and I would join the Telugu Desam. It is all destiny.

Tell us about the BSP and the BJP?
The rise of Mayawati in Uttar Pradesh blocked the progress of the state. Law and order problems are on the rise. During her birthday celebrations, huge amounts were collected. Officials who didn’t obey her orders were killed. The crime rate is going up alarmingly. There is no protection for women. Coming to the BJP, its prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani is dangerous than George Bush.

Do you support the Women Reservation Bill?
I will never forget that. Even during my maiden speech in the TD, I insisted on realising 33 per cent reservation for women. It will continue to be an impractical thing until and unless politicians come forward with pure hearts. As chairperson of the UPA, Mrs Sonia Gandhi utterly failed to do justice to the demand. I am unhappy that the blame is always put on the Samajwadi Party.

Is there any possibility of an alliance between the SP and the Congress?
I am just a party worker. I feel that the Congress wants to avoid us. It is used to a use-and-throw style. But only the future will reveal the shape of alliances.


http://reddy2007.blogspot.com

No comments: